Miniature GPS for Hare
Reliable GPS with remote data download as light as 30 grams!
Hare collars need to be lightweight and properly fitted. Fitting snugly against the hare’s neck prevents them from chewing on the collar. If this step is overlooked the collar won’t be on the hare for very long. In addition, it is paramount that the collars have very good GPS antennas so that the opportunity to acquire GPS satellite signals is optimized. Telemetry Solutions has the GPS hare collar that solves both of these issues.
The habitat in which hares live can be an issue when it comes to acquiring GPS positions. When a GPS collar must turns on but is unable to acquire a GPS location then the data set will be smaller but the battery used will be the same as if there had been data produced. Our collars overcome this obstacle with the introduction of our Smart GPS option.
GPS for Hare-How it works
We see ourselves as your partner in your wildlife work and we need you to succeed. We are here make sure of just that. You will succeed. Our equipment is made to be as flexible as possible, this means allowing you to program the GPS collars to be on whenever you like. The user software is easy to use and just in case you find yourself uncertain how to proceed the software is linked to tutorials and an FAQ.
The software allows you to program collars in one of three different programming modes. Using the template mode you will program times throughout days in which the GPS should turn on. GPS positions can be peppered throughout the days. Up to 26 different day schedules can be created. You then assign them into the days in the year which should follow that day schedule. If you don’t need that flexibility but would rather just choose an interval for the GPS receiver to turn on then use repeat mode and set any interval between 2 minutes and 48 hours, 59 minutes. For example, 3 hours 30 minutes, or 11 hours, any combo that you can think of.
Your GPS module contains a memory that stores GPS data. You will recover the data by locating the collar with the VHF beacon included and then either by capturing the animal and downloading data via USB cable or by using the optional wireless data download option (range up to 500 meters). This option adds 1.5 grams to the overall weight of the product. The remote data download feature can be activated any time that you are within the download range of the Telemetry Solutions’ GPS module. And with the more convenient ‘automatic’ remote download option you don’t even have to leave the warmth of your office for the data to be downloaded remotely. With the automatic download option, the Telemetry Solutions’ base station can trigger the automatic data download by itself.
Downloaded data can be viewed in UTMs, degrees/minutes/seconds, decimal degrees or as a KML file that you can map directly to Google Earth. Another alternative is to upload your data to our secure website and view it in Google Maps. This feature associates your map with a secure URL that can easily be shared.
- Stores up to 60,000 positions
- Temperature sensor included
- Stand alone VHF beacon included
- Accuracy within 2.5 meters
- Programmable using calendar mode to set the day and time of each location attempt or repeat mode to set the GPS location interval
- Mortality sensor included
- Wireless programming and data recovery
- Always on mode: Your GPS will remain on at all times logging a fix every 5, 10 or 15 seconds. This option also includes a heading and velocity output; giving you a better insight into the animal’s activities throughout the day
- Custom collar material and layout: If your study species needs a special material for comfort we can use a material of your choice. We also offer a selection of different electronics’ housing shapes to choose from to fit a variety of different animals.
Standard Features and Options